Just came across this article on a friend's page and can not stop sharing it... Thanks to Christian Matta for this wonderful article.
Guruji says there are 12 qualities, which makes you an outstanding leader.
- The first quality of leadership is to set an example. A leader doesn't just order things he does it so that others can do it.
- Second aspect is that a leader takes good care of those whom he is leading.
- Third aspect is that he doesn't create followers. A good leader creates leaders. And then chain action happens. A leader should delegate responsibility.
- The fourth quality is that a leader does not depend on authority. He just does a thing, whether authority is invested or not. It comes by itself.
- The fifth aspect of leadership is that he does not worry about position. The respect that you gain through virtue is very different from the respect you gain through the position. The respect you get through a position is short-lived and temporary. But the respect that you gain just because of your smile, your attitude, your virtues are there with you all the time. You may be a chairman of this committee, a president of that committee, or you are barrister here or governor of that state these are all momentary, temporary. They come and they go. And the respect you get because of this position is not genuine, it is not from the heart, it is not true. But the respect you gain because you are a nice person, is genuine, it lasts long. It is spontaneous.
- The sixth quality is that a leader is alert and when challenges come, he is not disturbed. A good leader is one who does not drop things when challenges appear.
- The seventh quality of a good leader is one who does not care for comfort, but who stretches himself beyond the comfort zone. Anything creative, dynamic and great can happen only when you stretch beyond your comfort zone where we are often struck. We think we cannot do something just make an effort and put one step ahead, and you will find that that you are expanding your comfort zone. Creativity transcends your comfort zone. Or, when you step out of the comfort zone, your creativity comes into play.
- The eighth aspect is, a leader should not mix head and heart. If you mix head and heart, you are in a mess When you have to work, you work with commitment and you live with your head. In life, in situations other than when you are working, listen to your heart.
- The ninth quality of a good leader is that he should be multidimensional and see from the others point of view. Put yourself in other persons shoes, look from the other persons point of view.
- The tenth aspect is that the leader doesn't depend on one-sided information. When you get some news from one side, dont take any decision or conclusion till you hear from the other side also. Leader should be a good communicator.
- The eleventh is that a leader should have a direct approach.
- Twelfth quality of a good leader is not to judge oneself. You have this tendency of judging yourself, Am I good? I am no good. The self-judgement is an obstruction. Stop doing that. Don't judge yourself. When you judge yourself, you are judging others also. Then you oscillate like a pendulum. If you feel you're good, then you are saying that others are not so good. So when you find that others are good, and then you feel that you are no good, you blame yourself. Judgement is very similar to self- blame and blaming others. We have to get out of this vicious circle of self-judgement. That is also the state of surrender.When you have surrendered to the Divine that means that you no longer judge yourself. Self-judgement is not necessary. A child is so innocent, why? Because the child doesnt judge itself.